1. Puppies can't control their bladders overnight until they are at least four months old. Until then, cover the floor around the puppy's bed with newspapers.
2. Dogs are omnivorous. They need more than just meat to flourish.
3. People with more than one dog shouldn't try to treat them all as equals. Because pack position is important to a dog, this only encourages jealousy games.
Inscription on the Monument of a Newfoundland Dog
Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity, and all the Virtues of Man,
without his Vices.
This Praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery if inscribed over human ashes is but a just tribute to the Memory of Boatswain,a Dog.
Epitaph to a Dog
1. All dogs can be traced back 40 million years ago to a weasel-like animal called the Miacis which dwelled in trees and dens. The Miacis later evolved into the Tomarctus, a direct forbear of the genus Canis, which includes the wolf and jackal as well as the dog.
2. Ancient Egyptians revered their dogs. When a pet dog would die, the owners shaved off their eyebrows, smeared mud in their hair, and mourned aloud for days.
So how does your dog cool down in the heat of summer? Find a shady spot, drink plenty of water or stay indoors?
Well not these dogs:
Shari Morehead Labradors pictured here are Mongo Pete, Little Pete, Auggie, Odie and Sugar Bear. Shari calls them her "Lab Team." On this sunny summer day, the labs found a large stick in the River and competed to bring it over to Shari "When they all find one stick, they all want that stick."
On a sunny, hot day in Mako, Hungary over 1500 great dogs and their owners competed for awards and recognition, many of our breeders were there to show off their wonderful dogs, with many others travelling internationally to attend. There were over 50 different breeds, from the Hungarian Komandor and Pumi, to the more lavish beautiful English Cocker Spaniel and English Bullmastiff and well as the ever popular Golden Retriever.
Here are a few of many photographs taken.